King’s Ely and Ely Cathedral offer an exciting opportunity for a young organist in the Sixth Form. The Ely Organ Scholarship is ideal preparation for competitive University Organ Scholarships, Conservatoire courses and gap-year cathedral posts.
The Organ Scholar has access to a wealth of music-making in a highly professional framework. Only a handful of schools are able to offer this level of training and experience to Sixth Form students. Meanwhile, a serious academic focus will allow an ambitious application for Higher Education. King’s Ely has a long track record of successful applications to Oxbridge and other top universities.
As part of the Scholarship, the Organ Scholar will perform on the cathedral’s fine four-manual, 96- stop Harrison and Harrison instrument, accompanying the school and cathedral choirs, and enjoying free individual tuition in solo and liturgical playing, keyboard skills and conducting from Ely’s highly regarded team of professional musicians.
The Scholarship includes:
- Weekly organ tuition
- Keyboard skills tuition
- Fortnightly conducting lessons
- Weekly piano technique lessons
- Singing lessons
- Piano repertoire lessons and lessons on other instruments are also available (paid for separately)
- Assistance with preparation for Oxbridge or other university organ trials
- Grade 8 ABRSM theory coaching
- Routine observation of boys, girls and lay clerks rehearsals
- Routine page turning and console assisting
- Membership of chapel choir required
- Accompanying, voluntaries, hymn-playing.
King’s Ely is able to offer full boarding at the heart of a warm and friendly school community. Organ Scholarships are awarded to the value of 50% of boarding or day fees. Bursarial support up to 100% is available on a means-tested basis, and no talented musician should be deterred from applying for financial reasons.